Why stretching is an important habit in your life
It's not enough to build muscle and achieve aerobic fitness. While strong muscles are important but you need to think about flexibility.
Without flexibility our Muscles will be shortened by time, it will affect your mobility and range of motion in the joints. That puts you at risk for joint pain, strains, and muscle damage. Injured muscles may not be strong enough to support the joints, which can lead to joint injury.
You have to put in mind “with time the older we get the more likely we are to be tight and have our muscles pull onto our skeletal structure”.
For people at the workplace, they’ll need to ensure doing stretching, they need it over time especially if they spend more than 5 hours sitting daily. For example, sitting on a chair can result in tightening the hamstrings in the back of the thigh. That can make it harder to extend your leg or straighten your knee all the way, which constrains walking. Other examples of long sitting on a chair contribute to the pain in the back, neck, and shoulders, it starts from muscle pressure then it will result in problems ranging from stiffness to joints and spine injury.
Benefits of stretching:
· Stretching keeps the muscles flexible, strong, and healthy.
· Stretching improves your posture.
· Stretching reduces injury at the workplace.
· Stretching increases your efficiency in all activities so they require less effort.
· Stretching can also reduce stress, improve mood.
· Remember that most of the Stretching exercises don't require getting on the floor or using the equipment. You can perform it while sitting on a chair or standing or laying down.
· Stretching makes us feel better about ourselves.
The main stretching exercises for your body should contain your calves, hamstrings, your hip flexors in the pelvis, and quadriceps in the front of the thigh shoulders, neck, and lower back. Stretching once daily won't magically give you perfect flexibility it needs a long time. Aim for a program of daily stretches for at least four times per week to ensure you are maintaining healthy muscles and strong posture.
Usually, people don’t think of stretching at the workplace because they don’t have the motivation to do so. They commonly have time only Five minutes of sweat-free exercises but they need a supportive environment.
Master Profissional Wellness Coach